Friday, June 5, 2009

Peñiscula/Running

Today we went to Peñiscula which is a little town a couple hours away. It was an optional program trip by bus, and why would I say no to seeing awesome stuff for free? So, we left this morning and got there around 1130 and the weather was nasty. Gray skies, windy, chilly, but we went on a boat tour around the cove and all of us just wrapped our beach towels around ourselves to stay warm. The sites we saw were awesome! A big castle that has a huge cave under it that leads into the dungeons. Stairs coming down from the castle that legend says were built in one night when a temporary pope (Benedict XIII) was going threatened to be assisnated by the Vatican who chose someone else. He was living there at the time, and it was an escape for him. The beaches also looked awesome! Soooo pretty! We split up for lunch and a group of us went to this covered patio place to eat some of Spain's version of Mecxan food. It was different (almost everything served with fried eggs on the side) but good. When we were done, the sun came out for a while so we went down to the beach! :) Then it started to rain and hail a little so we took cover til it passed and then toured the castle. It was very simple as far as decour but really cool to walk through. Stairs leading everywhere and some were so narrow I barely fit down them with both shoulders touching the walls on either side! Still really cool and some amazing views of the water and the town from the top!

When we got back, I decided to go for a run in the park. I went right into the park but ran along different paths this time (there are probably at least 4 or 5 paths in each direction at any given point in the park). I ran to the end that direction. I passed 2 festivals going on, a skate park, a big fountain surrounded be rollerbladers (some type of event), probably 10+ childrens playgrounds (one is called Gulliver and is a giant person laying down with slides and things to climb all over him and his hat and stuff), tons of trees and plants, some statues and memorials, some really old stones, and a bunch of stray cats. When I reached as far as you are allowed to run, it was right by the City of Arts and Sciences (at the end of them). It was beautiful down there! A little stream runs along one of the path and there were people relaxing all over by it. It was so nice, I just kept running. I ran back past where I had started, then I kept going. I ran for a while until I got to another big fountain. I had been past there before so I turned around and headed back. My total distance running was 7.54 miles!!! My previous record was 3.51. It was amazing! I probably could have kept going a little longer which was the crazy part, but I didn't want to have to walk back after dark (even though there were tons of people out playing soccer and stuff.

So, I had a really good day! :) Tomorrow I need to do a lot of homework since I have many papers and projects due next week, but I will probably take stuff either down to one of the plazas and have Horchata while I work or go sit in one of the amazing gardens and work. No point sitting inside all day when I only have 12 days left. Hasta Luego!

4 comments:

  1. sara, i have been keeping a count on your days in spain and can't believe how fast the time has gone.sounnds like you are having an awesome time and discovering so many unique places.i hope you are taking alot of pictures. i'm so happy that you were able to expreiance spain in this way. i love you, love mom

    ReplyDelete
  2. hi sara !i am falling asleep because i had 2 take some benedryl earlii am trying to read but my eyes wont stay open--so i wanted 2 say hi and i am going to sleep;i will read your blog tomorrow;i love hearing about ur day!love ya

    ReplyDelete
  3. hi sara -i just read about ur day.i cant wait to see the castle pics !it sounds amazing !i want to walk in a castle ! lol but i would get stuck in the stairs !lol! the beaches sound fun.and eating spains version of mexican food sounded um..hmm..not as good as going to tumbleweed !lol ! ur run sounded absolutley amazing !wow what a place to run.we need some spain here in kentucky !1did u think of me when u saw all the cats !1haha what is horchata ? the gardens sound like a good place to do homework and projects. and girl did u say u only have 12 days left there ? i cant believe how fast it seems to go by,how did u do in the bowling-did u win the ham?have u been back 2 planet bowling ? i love u sweetheart !

    ReplyDelete
  4. hey sara, sorry you did not win the ham, but i think the tee shirts and other stuff will be easier to pack amd bring home.(lol) i can't believe this is your last week. the time has gone sooooo fast.but it will be great to see you.thanks for the early happy birthday,i can't believe this is my last day as a 46 year old. oh well now a new year starts all over again for me as a 47 year old. you know what they say IT happens.(lol) i love you enjoy your week,see you on the 18th. love mom

    ReplyDelete