Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Lladro etc.

Another week almost over... Crazy how fast time is flying by here!!!

So, monday in class we went to Lladro which is a porceline figurine empire in Spain. We got to go through the back and see how they make each of the figurines by hand. First they start with liquid porceline which they pour into molds which take at most a few hours to set. They take out the pieces (up to hundreds depending on the size of the figure) and peel off extra bits before putting them in a bin to harden more. Then, ladies use more liquid porceline to attach all the pieces by hand. Then other ladies paint the figures using finished models as guides. Finally, there is a table in the back where two ladies sit and handmake flowers petal by petal which when finished are placed onto the figurines that use them. Finally, the whole thing is baked and inspected then sold. They are crazy expensive (some of the bigger ones more than a house!) but really pretty and really neat how they are made. Plus the place where they work is set up really nice for employees and even has a large cafe, a pool, and a lot of outdoor activities for breaks and to bring the kids to on the weekends.

Monday night I postbowled then bowled league. I did ok. I found out before league started that I am in third place... I might be a ham winner. We will see next week lol

Tuesday we watched movies in both of my classes. In the first we watched a film about Juana la Loca, the daughter of Isabel y Ferdinand who had a horrible husband who made her crazy then locked her away. In my other class we watched a more modern Spanish version of Romeo and Juliet that involved a lot of flamenco dancing. I also signed up for the flamenco class next monday and tuesday night. Figured while I'm here learning about how important it is to their culture I might as well try it out.

Last night we went down and checked out this festival going on in the riverbed. They have food and vendors from countries around the world. It was really cool. I am going to go back again this weekend when I have more time to look around at everything.

Today, I had class this morning then went to the travel agency to pay for a trip I am going on with the group next weekend. It is to a really pretty Spanish island and is recomended by everyone who has been. A lot of people are going because of some famous discos, but I'm not really in the mood to pay between 20 and 100 Euros just to get in like they are. I am really just looking forward to 3 whole days relaxing on a beautiful beach before I have to return to the busy craziness of the real world. Should be fun :) The place where I booked the ferry ticket was really neat too because it was right on the edge of the campus so there were students all around and I got to see some of the campus restaurants and stuff.

Tonight, as part of my Spanish class, we are going to see Slumdog Millionaire in Spanish. I didn't really like it in English, so I wish we were seeing something else instead, but it's alright. Should still be a good night and as long as our whole class comes (7 of us) she is letting us start class at 930 instead of 9 on Monday so...

test tomorrow that I should be studying for, so Hasta Luego!

And do Joni, HAPPY JUNE 3RD!!!

Love ya!

1 comment:

  1. hi sara!! thank u -i had a great june 3rd-ur mom and kaitlin came into mcalisters and it was the last day of school-YAY !! i love the bowling alley story--planet bowling-i think that is funny!and how u find the bowling alleys and get ur self there and bowl with people you have never seen-i feel so proud of u how u navagate around to get where u want to go in a place that u have never seen !did i say place,i mean country-where they speak a different language,any way i love knowing that u r so brave 2 go off on ur own and do the things u do.the porcelin place sounds great-a pool and play ground-wow - the movies u watch in that one class sound different- we need to reroute the ohio river around the city and build us a river bed park so u or us can go running in it and enjoy the entertainment and beauty of it !lets write a letter to the mayor and we will show him ur pictures of the one spain has and who knows it could happen here-we do live in louisville-the greatest city around here !! i love u

    ReplyDelete